Facade: the nave and side aisles each with decorated portal
Overall church construction started in 1292, making this one of the first "hall churches" in this area (more on that on the following page). As obvious from the picture above, we have a work in progress: the top half of the facade was never finished. The lower half from the 15th century fared better. Its 5 carved cylinders spiral around the central doorway with exquisitely carvings.
Franciscans started building this church in 1292. Work stopped in 1348 when nearly half of Todi was wiped out by the plague. Giovanni da Santuccio and his nephew Bartolo from Firenzuola served as architects for the facade which started construction in 1420 and never finished. By the end of the century, Todi ran out of money and energy from fighting its neighbor city-states.The niche at left holds a statue of the archangel Gabriel of Annunciation fame. This may be the work of the Tuscan genius Jacopo della Quercia, who around this time was the supervising architect at Sienna's cathedral construction.
Guarding the steps for a millennium stand two weathered lions
A church to Todi's patron and first bishop San Fortunato
had been here before. These travertine lions were used in
the original Benedictine Vallumbrosan church and possibly
date back to the 7th century.[16-38]
They need a little work.
Inside, this hall church is spacious and sun-lit, creating a brilliant space for the Franciscans to preach. Join us there by clicking here.
Geek and Legal Stuff
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
This page has been tested in Internet Explorer 7.0 and Firefox 2.0.
Created on May 15, 2008 corrected November 15,2009